New York Civil Liberties Union Staff Attorney
Summary of Position
The NYCLU seeks a staff attorney to conduct litigation and related advocacy. The staff attorney will work on the full range of NYCLU issues, including criminal justice, free expression, equal protection, police misconduct, student rights, and privacy.
NYCLU STAFF ATTORNEY
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with 48,000 members statewide and eight offices.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Developing and conducting litigation in federal and state courts and in administrative forums. Staff attorneys are responsible for indentifying possible litigation and advocacy, preparing pleadings, motions, and briefs; conducting discovery; presenting oral arguments; and handling all aspects of appeals;
• Engaging in pre-litigation analysis and advocacy, including evaluating and following up on intakes; conducting factual investigations and legal analyses; utilizing the Freedom of Information Law; and drafting demand letters.
• Excellent writing, research, analytical, and communication skills;
• Three to five years of litigation experience; some policy or non-litigation advocacy experience a plus;
• A demonstrated ability to advocate effectively, including an ability to initiate and follow through on public interest litigation or advocacy;
• A demonstrated commitment to the goals and priorities of the organization;
• Familiarity with civil rights issues desirable; and
• Leadership, self-motivation and an ability to work collaboratively.
The NYCLU is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbians, gay men and transgender individuals to apply.
How to apply? | Application Procedure
Please submit a letter of interest, current resume, short writing sample and salary requirements with "Staff Attorney" in the subject field via e-mail to:
Contenido oculto para usuarios invitados. Por favor, inicie su sesión para poder verlo.